Sunday 6 February 2011

I’m still in Cornwall – get me out of here!


I passed Dobwalls the other day and was saddened to see online that the adventure park is now closed. When we first visited it in the early 80s it was still very much a family affair and a lovely day out with first 2, then 3 children in tow. We all enjoyed sitting astride the miniature steam trains (models of the Union Pacific and Rio Grande lines) and trundling through the tunnels. We were staying at some self-catering farm cottages at Lanreath run by Janet and Richard Pugh. 


I still have their address and contacted them again a few years ago and found that  they are still there and, happily, the business is thriving. As so often happens they had just been leafing through their photo albums and had come across the snaps we took of Richard and their son Danny attempting to play Adrian’s French horn!

So then it was on to Liskeard and memories of August 2009 when June and I spent a weekend with BTCV 


repairing some Cornish Hedging on a sustainable farm there. Once June had persuaded me that it was safe to stay and that we would not soon be featured on Crimewatch we slept in pop-up tents, washed in cold water, placed nesting boxes for dormice - complete with GPS locations for follow-up purposes – wondered if we would catch Orf from the local sheep and laboured merrily. The other volunteers were great company and in the evenings (too grubby and tired to go to the local pub) we supped beer and shared stories of other volunteering holidays. 



So – I’ve arrived at St Germans – visit this website to see details of the fab Port Eliot festival my sister Jen volunteered at last year. It’s in my diary for this year too, just in case I’m not working by the end of July.


Well – the Devon Cream Tea is booked for next weekend! I joined the Chichester Walkers for a lovely 5 mile walk up on the Staunton Way today and I’m all set to cross into my second county any day now.

No comments:

Post a Comment