Monday 14 February 2011

Ouch! and Phew!

Yes, you’ve guessed. Cycling Christine has set off at last from John o’Groats – and is now 5 miles nearer Land’s End! It was such beautiful weather last Tuesday afternoon - but the tide was in so I couldn’t do my favourite walk along the shore at Langstone. There was clearly nothing for it but to put some air in the tyres and launch the other half of the project. I made it to St Hubert's at Idsworth - the scene of many a reflective moment over the years, and probably the cycling equivalent of my 'round the village' walk.



The next day saw me nursing the obvious parts of my anatomy – but also my left wrist and arm. The physio signed me off last week though, so the tiredness and ache are clearly nothing out of the ordinary and the cycling is bound to help with both strength and mobility. It felt good (for a while) and it will be great to have some variety and choice now that the evenings are getting lighter.

Phew! I made it into Devon just in time for the walk and cream tea on Saturday - and what a day we had! The weather was simply glorious – bright, sunny and just fresh enough for a brisk walk without actually being cold. I decided to repeat the Chalton-Finchdean-Chalton route as it is local and the right length to fill a couple of hours. We were a colourful bunch – June striding effortlessly up the hills with the rest of us panting behind, Margaret flowing along with her Nordic Walking poles, me nattering as usual and not concentrating on the route….. Anyway, we made it back (with just a couple of gentle course-corrections from Valerie and Graham) in time to pick up Gwen (who had been cycling) and Steph (who had been quilting) and we were 8 for Devon Cream Tea at home. I had spent the morning baking and found this recipe for Devonshire Apple Scones:







I have consigned both MapMyRun and MapMyWalk to Room 101 and switched to Mapometer.com. I think I have enabled my readers to see the route. Try the link and see.


I think I have also now worked out how to enable anyone to post comments on this blog – again, have a go if you feel like it.

The joy of this project is seeing it unfold as it progresses and listening to what other people have to offer. I have been wondering how to mark the progress of the cyclist as I thought it needed to be different from the invitations to tea, supper etc which are accompanying the walker. Chris, Rachel and I were chatting about it and they suggested film nights with links to the locations. So – it could be Braveheart soon, or Mrs Brown or Local Hero – or indeed all of them at the current rate of progress! The thought that if I hang around in Scotland for too long we might have to watch the one about the Loch Ness Monster will be enough to spur me on my way...... I can’t wait for Miss Potter (Lake District) and Ladies in Lavender (Cornwall) but still need plenty of help filling in the remainder of the route.

And finally – I’m feeling so inspired that I’m leaping ahead to Dec 31st when the cyclist reaches Land’s End and the walker reaches John o’Groats – and I think I might actually keep going.

That’s when the swimming starts......

No comments:

Post a Comment